There’s a new Greensteel in town. That’s right, all you tainted implements of Shavarath, you have been supplanted by the new Thunder-Forged weapon crafting system*.
Or at least that appears to be Turbine’s intent.
They are not an identical replacement, Greensteel is for Heroic questing while Thunder-forged is definitely for Epics.
* And by Thunder-Forged we mean the new DDO version, not the WoW Thunderforged raid drop weapons introduced last year
But there are more similarities between Greensteel and Thunder-Forged than there are differences:
- Both have multiple tiers and allow the addition of new powers and features at each tier
- Both are hugely flexible in terms of the differing kinds of effects you can add to one weapon
- Both require multiple trips through a raid to fully implement
The biggest difference is the sheer number of raids one must attempt to build a weapon. Even the unluckiest soul should be able to make pretty much any greensteel weapon he chooses after 20 Shroud runs. Meanwhile, others are estimating that it may take at least 30 runs through both Fire on Thunder Peak and Temple of the Deathwyrm to finish off your Thunder-Forged weapon.
We’ll see about that over time. DDO players seem to generally overestimate the difficulty of new systems. And we are very good at discovering shortcuts and efficiencies.
All I know for sure is that it took one full sweep of the Ruins of Thunderholme plus a couple of targeted named-hunting forays for my Gamer Girl and I to accumulate enough Dwarven Ingots to create one Tier 0 weapon.
And what a nice looking weapon it is!
Chelena Armstrong (the World’s Strongest Halfling)
and her new Thunder-Forged Maul
It will cost her another 60 ingots and 45 Commendations of Valor to upgrade to Tier 1. When she does, she will have choices:
- Blinding Fear: 6 second Blindness plus Shaken
- Touch of Shadows: 8D6 negative energy damage
- Touch of Flames: 10D6 fire damage
- First Degree Burns: 5D6 fire damage + a stacking add to damage taken by opponent
Or she could go outside of the box and take Devotion: 150 Devotion spellpower would make her Dragonmarks of Jorasco sizzle! But at the expense of significant DPS potential.
And the choices only get wider and deeper at each tier. DPS? Debuffs? Buffs? Even a limited form of AoE healing. Many, many choices.
I think I’d really like to make two mauls for Chelena. One that is stuffed full of debuffs (Blinding and Paralyzing and two Negative Levels) and another that is purely DPS (I’m not counting but it looks like I can add somewhere around a thousand D6 of fire damage).
And that is just Chelena. I have 18 more characters on Sarlona.
Guess I better get busy. Those dragon raids ain’t gonna complete themselves.
🙂 😀 🙂