This is the source of the word “Vorpal”.
Now that we have context, let us contemplate the meaning of the following:
- A greatclub can never go snicker-snack
- A greatclub can never go through and through
- A greatclub can never sever anything, let alone a Jabberwock head
And thus was removed any pretense of Vorpal being significant in this game. And Disrupting. And Banishing. And Smiting. But especially, Vorpal.
This is where I am supposed to rant about how a Vorpal club totally violates everything about D&D. But in this case, it is not just about Dungeons & Dragons, it is even bigger. The damage is worse. Allow me to explain:
- It used to be that certain effects were only available on certain equipment slots
- It used to be that certain weapon effects were only available on certain types of weapons
- It used to be that some effects were more powerful than others, and also harder to get
- It used to be that you might get lucky on any chest – any chest, anywhere in the game – and pull something that was the perfect combination of effects and item. Jackpot!
Now every effect is available on every item slot. Every weapon effect is available on every weapon. Some effects are just gone (when was the last time you pulled anything with a clicky?).
Nothing is special. Or rather, everything is. And when everything is special, nothing is.
You can still get the excitement of pulling something that is both rare and valuable, but to do that you have to be opening a specific chest and hoping for a specific named item. There is no thrill in random loot, only in named loot.
Maybe that is the design, and it is rewarding when you finally get that one item to drop. But it is a different kind of reward. Not a surprise, more of a relief. Finally. You’ve got it.
But it used to be that you could be surprised by the content of any chest. Not relieved, surprised.
Back in the day, I pulled a random loot short sword while running the Reaver that was so perfect, word spread that I had it, and I spent the rest of that session fielding tells from people trying to buy it from me. From all over the server.
That was amazing!
Maybe the game is now just too mature for that kind of thing. Something special eventually becomes something common, maybe even something duped, and then it overwhelms everything. No longer special, now just overpowered. And bad.
Okay. But this leads to a world where I don’t even bother to look at the stuff I loot unless I am at one of those chests.
And that is a shame.
I have ideas on how to fix this, naturally, you would expect no less. But that will have to wait for another day.* In the meanwhile, what would you do? Or do you believe that I am off base altogether, the loots system is fine the way it is?
What do you think?
🙂 😀 🙂
* Actually, now that I think about it, I listed most of them the last time I talked about loot.