Mac lovers cheer! Wait, do Mac users actually cheer? Is there such a thing as an ironic cheer?
While researching something or another*, I came across an interesting piece of not-really-DDO-but-possibly-related news: Turbine is releasing a native Mac OS client for Lord of the Rings Online.
* Stop snickering. Yes, I do actual research, sometimes, except when it is easier to just make stuff up.
While the release of the Mac client is news (it is happening this week), the existence of the client is not; further research (yes research) quickly finds mentions of the Mac client as far back as August.
Ah, Macintosh, once my preferred platform of choice but sadly left in my past when it was the 90’s and no one would pay me to work on it. My first reaction to this news was “wow I hope they are working on a Mac DDO too!”. But then the questions started popping into my brain:
- Does this mean it will work on Linux too?
- What about older Macs, pre-Intel chip days?
- I wonder how much code differs between the Mac and Windows versions?
- At least the graphics stuff has to be different, yes?
- There is no DirectX for Mac is there?
- How often will code changes have to be applied to both code bases, differently?
- Doesn’t this mean that testing now and forevermore will have to take place on (at least) two platforms?
- Won’t that slow down the release of new content and bugfixes, forever?
- How much better is a native client versus Bootcamp emulation?
I don’t get it. What is the strategic advantage to enjoining this much effort? For a game with a seven-year-old engine? I am all for making these games inclusive, it is part of why I recently argued for better PvP. But this does not include anyone new, it is already possible to play LotRO, and for that matter DDO, on a Mac.
Unless this is an incremental step towards porting Turbine games to run on iOS, I just don’t get it.
Maybe (probably?) there is some aspect to this that I am missing, one that will cause it all to make perfect, glorious sense. But right now this just seems like something Turbine did because they could, and I hope it is not something they are planning on bringing to DDO.
I sound all Grinch-y don’t I? Shaking my blog fist at all the whippersnapper operating systems cavorting about on my lawn. Macintosh! Get off my lawn!
But still. At the risk of sounding like just another grumpy forum user, I vote Yes on new ways to play, Yes on new content, and Yes on less bugs. I vote No on more operating systems.
🙂 😀 🙂